Commitment to Diversity
We believe marketing has the power to make a difference. As innovators, strategizers, ambassadors and storytellers, we shape narratives that communicate value, create meaning, and establish societal norms.
As chapter leaders in the AMA, we recognize that there is inequity in our marketing community and organization and that we can do more to address these gaps. The catalyst of our actions stems from the unjust murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and countless other lives lost due to police brutality. Our inaction and silence in the past have resulted in hurt, exclusion, and harm in ways that we cannot measure, but we are committed to rectifying this and ensuring that our efforts are sustainable and far-reaching.
Starting today, we will use our platform to better help individuals and companies support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the industry, beginning with centering and amplifying the voices of our black, brown, and indigenous communities (BIPOC). As a chapter of the American Marketing Association and as marketers representing a diverse set of industries and disciplines:
- We commit to recruiting and retaining BIPOC representation within our board of directors, leadership teams, volunteers, and membership.
- We commit to increasing BIPOC representation throughout our products and services, thought leadership, campaigns, programming, and distribution networks.
- We commit to building a pipeline of marketers that reflect the demographics of the populations we serve.
- We commit to partnering with organizations that value diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- We commit to further educating ourselves as to the plight of racial injustice and will use our platform to facilitate courageous conversations that promote anti-bias and anti-racism within the marketing community.
Together, we will use the power of our collective voices to outline the roles marketers can play in standing for and delivering on inclusion; the ideals, values, and principles that promote equality, respect, and unity.